Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Despicable Me "Just Because Party"

My littlest minion is a big fan of Despicable Me.  Have you seen the movie?
She asked me last week if we could have an end-of-the-summer celebration
with a Despicable Me family party.  What a fun idea, and why not!






I began by creating minion goggles and logos from the movie characters,
Gru and El Macho.  Being a graphic designer sure comes in handy.  
Feel free to print from my Despicable Me inspired printables for your event!





Our kid-friendly Despicable Me menu included hotdogs, 
chicken nuggets, and mini-meatball sandwiches.
My girls enjoyed dinner from the Gru and El Macho trays.
I've created a template if you want to make these easy trays, and
you can print and cut out the Gru and El Macho logos from my printables.





I filled the yellow minion glasses with pineapples
and the evil minion glasses with blueberries.  For the crazy purple hair,
I used felt wool.  You can find them at Michael's Craft Store.





Yum!  For dessert - chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, topped
with chocolate piped minions.  I used Merckens chocolate candy melts.
I really need to practice more with piping chocolate.  
It was tricky because the melted chocolate would cool too quickly
in my piping bag before I was finished.  I recommend working with
the chocolates one color at a time, before moving to the next.





The party hats were my favorite things to craft!  To make these, 
print out the large goggles from my printables and cut them out.
Glue them onto yellow poster board (4 1/2" high), including a strip
of black poster board for the goggle bands.  Cut out the mouths and 
glue them onto the hats.  I made six hats from a $1 yellow poster board.





We had lemonade with dinner.  That was a winner, from our usual 
milk-with-dinner rule.  I printed, cut and glued the minion goggles from 
my printables onto disposable cups, and glued googly eyes 
over the printed ones.  Don't these look silly?





We had a super fun end-of-the-summer celebration and family dinner.
Good luck with back-to-school season!  Are you ready?




23 comments:

  1. I love seeing pics of parties and all the fun stuff that goes along w/them. It turned out so cute- you've got such talent for this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leandra! I wish I had time to have more "just because" parties!

      Delete
  2. All these Despicable googlely-eyes... Ha-ha! Your food was looking back at you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! What a fun family activity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, my (adult) daughters love the despicable me movies. I may have to make some of these for next month's birthday celebration =) You never outgrow a disney party, right?! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, I think your daughters would be tickled silly to have a Despicable Me party. What a cool mom!

      Delete
  5. obsessed planning my daughter's despicable me 4th birthday party...thank you so much for the great ideas AND the printables!! much, much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 2 sassy girls, Good luck with your party!

      Delete
  6. My son is OBSESSED with Despicable Me 2, or should I say OBSESSED with the EVIL PURPLE MINIONS!!!!
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for having the printables. I've been looking everywhere for ideas, and there's mostly "good" minions. I actually found another blog with a DM2 party, and she had a Evil Minion piñata that I'm using. She also had the push up cakes that I love, but the printables were only yellow...
    I'm using yours now!! I'll use them like you did with the little cups of fruit. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to post as anonymous...
      Thanks again!

      Delete
    2. Hi Fernanda, I know that obsessed energy! My daughter LOVES minions, and now smurfs! Good luck with the party; it sounds fantastic!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing all your templates and printables! My son is turning 7 next weekend and requested a minion party, so these will be super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Viktoria, Have a great minion birthday celebration!

      Delete
  8. Thank You so much for sharing your printables, much appreciated. I know my daughter will definitely enjoy her 5th Birthday with all these wonderful ideas you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your printables! My twin daughters want a minion birthday party and your printables are a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow they are great! thank you so much for sharing! My little 4yr old to be son will be thrilled !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing! I will be using your printables on a piñata I am making for my little girl's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is exactly what i was looking for! Thank you so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete